Bestsellers

Bestsellers

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Dear Reader, Love CT Liotta

 

 

Dear Reader,

You’re looking at the back flap of my book right now, seeking fresh LGBTQ YA books or spy novels for teens, and thinking “I want something kind, like Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, or thoughtful like Code Name Verity. This doesn’t look right.” 

You are astute, dear reader. It doesn’t.

Maybe you’re a parent looking for something uplifting for your child who feels out-of-place, or a librarian hoping to influence the next generation of readers with positive values written by authors who speak to our current political moment. The tattered, pulpy cover of my LGBT coming-of-age spy novel, No Good About Goodbye, is comparatively indecent. The first two chapters read less like Casey McQuiston and more like the Nelson DeMille books your nasty, conservative uncle reads with his cheaters by the light of an over-the-shoulder lamp. 

Ultimately, my book is kind, but you’ll have to get through some broken teeth, triggering dialogue, and crude boy talk to get there. Will you want to? Will anybody?

The past ten years have yielded an embarrassment of riches in critically acclaimed, award-winning, quality LGBTQIA content: Mackenzi Lee, Adam Silvera, Emery Lee, Kacen Callender, Becky Albertalli—good writers with their fingers on the pulse of what’s trending in the world of inclusive literature for young people. Me? I’m a tired, rusted-out GenX shell. I had a provisional offer of employment from the State Department when the Trump administration upended my dreams of a mid-life career in diplomacy. I absorb too many articles from Foreign Affairs and write LGBTQ+ young adult adventure novels to humor myself. 

I wrote No Good About Goodbye as a story to my 14-year-old self—an homage to the potboilers and pulps I enjoyed as a kid, only with the gay hero I always needed but never encountered. I finished the first draft in 2015, having explored neither the YA landscape, the industry, or YA Twitter. This was fortuitous. If I had, I wouldn’t have written a word. I thought a gay teen adventure might be a tough sell, unaware the winds were already blowing past me and toward books far more progressive than mine.

In a matter of months I went from believing myself inventive to feeling old, retrograde, and out-of-touch with an industry and readership far more progressive than me. 

I had a series of early missteps. On Twitter, several prominent YA agents blocked me before I realized it wasn’t a place for discussion or disagreement, and that I was to either support their opinions or say nothing at all. They were tired, after all, of people with avatars like mine disagreeing with avatars like theirs. Oh well.

I shut up and kept my head down after burning my bridges. I re-tooled and re-wrote my manuscript, trying to bring things more in line with the zeitgeist. It gathered some interest from agents but went nowhere. Boy-hero spy novels just aren’t a thing after mid-grade, especially when tied into a queer love story.

In 2017, with my career plans in shambles and my novel going nowhere, I found my stride in a Highlands Coffee in Hanoi near the preserved cadaver of Ho Chi Minh. Dizzy from the tropical heat, I scanned both YA Twitter and Joshua Kurlantzick’s book about the CIA’s secret war in Laos. 

What a strange, brutal dichotomy. On Twitter, oxygen-rich people with liberal arts degrees battled from their keyboards about who should have permission to write made-up stories about marginalized people. Meanwhile, less than 300 kilometers from where I sat, the CIA deliberately exploited marginalized people in unknown battles that decimated the Laotian Hmong people before abandoning them to the Pathet Lao.

I retooled my novel. I would not tailor it to YA sensibilities, or care about who would read it or who it offended or what lessons it telegraphed or perpetuated. It would, in part, be about how all of us, good and bad, leverage whatever power and privilege we have to advance our goals, preserve our status, and save our family and friends. It was already a YA spy novel. The thing spy novels do best is measure how deep people will rot in service of their ideals and goals.

I didn’t have my laptop - only a pad and pen - and scribbled 90 minutes of notes.

My main character, 15 year-old Ian Racalmuto, would be ruthless and dispassionate like an agent running in the field, using whatever resources he had to bulldoze anyone who came between him and his goal of saving his brother and stopping war. Only, he’d fall in love with his best friend, a Chinese kid with no papers living in poverty in urban Philadelphia. Being gay wouldn’t horrify Ian, but the thought of his friend finding out about his crush would. Only recently, the same thing wrecked the only true friendship he’d ever had.

When I returned to the states, I sent it to a wonderful developmental editor and a micropress. The rest is history.

I think there’s a real and continued need for LGBTQ YA books, and specifically those that center boys. When I was 15, I had a sense of who I was - a gay kid in rural West Virginia. I never thought there was something wrong with me, but little else made me as cynical about humanity as the idea that everyone else could be their authentic self while I would have to navigate the world in disguise. Why wouldn’t I? Everything gay I knew about the world was in code.

Things have changed, but not as much as we want to think. We continue to ship characters and kpop stars who are never formally gay, based on hints and innuendo. As author Adam Sass noted, all we often have is allegory.

Today, women write tons of mm highschool romance books for each other in gentle, thoughtful, emotional ways. They’re a fit for gentle, thoughtful, emotional boys who never felt comfortable in a hyper-masculine culture. There remains precious little out there, however, for kids like me who wanted to drive fast, fly planes and blow stuff up with firecrackers.

So, I have a YA LGBT spy adventure novel for whoever wants it. I love the way it turned out. It’s fun and funny and a little absurd. Some readers might be better off not considering what it takes to maintain influence in the world, and best off thinking the greatest problems in society revolve around who is writing young adult books. They might believe change is coming and a round world can have a level playing field. I prefer to consider contingencies. How can we best adapt so we can live good lives if our best wishes never become reality? And who can we bring with us in the lifeboat?





CT Liotta
 was born and raised in West Virginia before moving to Ohio for college, where he majored in Biology. He now uses Philadelphia as his base of operations. You can find him backpacking all over the world.

Liotta takes interest in writing, travel, personal finance, and sociology. He likes vintage airlines and aircraft, politics, news, foreign affairs, '40s pulp and film noir. He doesn't fear math or science, and is always up for Indian food. His favorite candy bar used to be Snickers, but lately it's been 3 Musketeers. He isn't sure why.

He is author of Relic of the Damned!Death in the City of Dreams and Treason on the Barbary Coast!

No Good About Goodbye is his latest book.

Visit him on the web at https://www.ctliotta.com.

Sign up for Liotta’s newsletter at https://ctliotta.substack.com.





Fifteen-year-old Ian Racalmuto’s life is in ruins after an embassy raid in Algiers. His mother, a vodka-drunk spy, is dead. His brother, a diplomat, has vanished. And, he’s


lost a cremation urn containing a smartphone that could destroy the world.

Forced to live with his cantankerous grandfather in Philadelphia, Ian has seven days to find his brother and secure the phone—all while adjusting to life in a troubled urban school and dodging assassins sent to kill him.

Ian finds an ally in William Xiang, an undocumented immigrant grappling with poverty, a strict family, and abusive classmates. They make a formidable team, but when Ian’s feelings toward Will grow, bombs, bullets and crazed bounty hunters don’t hold a candle to his fear of his friend finding out. Will it wreck their relationship, roll up their mission, and derail a heist they’ve planned at the State Department?

Like a dime store pulp adventure of the past, No Good About Goodbye is an incautious, funny, coming-of-age tale for mature teens and adult readers. 308p.


“So many treats are in store for the discerning reader of CT Liotta’s brilliant YA novel NO GOOD ABOUT GOODBYE. There’s a diverse array of multi-racial/cultural characters, organized criminals with complex political goals underway, and keystone-cop humor/blunders often sparking from the evergreen enchantment of a push-pull romance between two young people, neither of whom have yet decided to identify as ‘gay.’ Rich with often realistically crude boy lingo, NO GOOD ABOUT GOODBYE is an utterly charming teenage LGBTQ falling-in-love adventure while simultaneously rocking an international crime storyline.” – C.S. Holmes, IndieReader

★★★★★ “Sharply observed and sarcastic as hell, CT Liotta’s debut is the gay teenage spy thriller we have long needed.” -Matt Harry, author of Superkid and Sorcery for Beginners.

★★★★★ I found this YA spy novel to be an utter delight! Fast-paced and witty, we traverse the globe with Ian, who just lost his mother and is charged with stopping a war with China. All the while he’s 15, enrolled in a High School from hell in Philadelphia and struggling with his identity. The author offers his own particular take on the importance of friendship and found family. He also very cleverly features different viewpoints, so the reading experience never feels stale. Honestly, I did not know what to expect going into this story – I however finished it converted into a fan! – Thomas S., Netgalley




No comments:

Post a Comment